Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Becoming More Southern!

Okay so know that many of you up north think that I am very southern, well to the people down here they don't come close to claiming me. I have more people ask me if I'm from Canada than anywhere else, I know I laugh every time. Since we have been here we have both picked up a few Southern traits. We both order Sweet Tea at every meal, and it better be real tea, not that stuff out of the pop machine, and it better be made with sugar! Charlie adds a little twang to some of his words now, and I'm sure I do too. Well to help us fit in more, and because we have both come to love it, we decided that we needed to learn to make Gumbo. From what I knew about making Gumbo, I didn't think you could have a recipe, I thought it was just one of those things that you had to just make from taste. Well we couldn't ever get it right. So we opened a cook book that we got for our wedding (cooking with Emerald), and figured he's Southern so he might have a good one. So I took the book shopping with me, and it wasn't an easy task to find everything he asked for. It took my friend Brook Bradley and I almost two hours to find everything! And there were still things I couldn't find. But Charlie and I spent the night cooking together, which was a lot of fun. Our dogs hung out in the kitchen with us, and we made ourselves some Gumbo. You know what, it was so good. We are going to make it again.

I tried to get him to do the Emerald 'BAM' face and he wouldn't!

YYYYYUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All our prepped food, ready to be thrown in.

Me cookin' away, you can't stop stirring the roux!

Our puppies, hoping we would share the food.

2 comments:

N said...

Oh michelle you guys look like you are having so much fun. I hope everything is going well and that you had a good Christmas.

Tracy Lawley said...

Wow, I miss gumbo! I'm sure I wouldn't be able to find all the ingredients here. We are making black eye peas for New Years Eve! Some Southern ways you just can't give up! Love y'all & miss you tons. Mom T