![]() |
| Create your own free scrapbooking design |
Tuesday, October 25, 2011
I'm Oatmeal not Granola!!
So charlie is making fun of me all the time for being granola! (For those of you that don't know thats just another word for a hippy) He asks me when I'm going to stop showering and shaving!! What a brat. Well for the record, I am oatmeal not granola. Just a little bit crunchy but not full out hippy! So I have always been interested in going green, and doing what I could around our house to help out. I have never gotten crazy about it, just little things. We recycle when we can, I put a brick in our toilet tank to save water, and I try to turn off lights. But then Mackenzie came along and things changed. Well I have now switched to cloth diapers and I make all of her food. To start with the first one, cloth diapers. I know people think I'm crazy about going to cloth. And I think the reason is because we all remember the old fashioned cloth diapers our grandparents (in some cases parents) used, and trust me... these are nothing like that! Yes they are still cloth and I still have to wash them, but with the help of snaps, liners, inserts, and great washing machines its super easy! And just look at them they are so much cuter than disposables. Now the fact that it is 2011 you may want to know why I chose to switch to cloth. Well we got so many diapers from people that Mack was almost 3 months old by the time we bought our first box! Thanks everyone! Well as I started pricing out diapers I realized how much that was gonna cost us. So I started looking into other alternatives. Well cloth kept coming up as an option. So I looked into it more, and the benefits of going to cloth sold me! Such as only having to buy them once, fewer rashes, and more green. So now I have a great stash of diapers and they should last me until she's potty trained, and even last for another child! Talk about saving some $$$ and so much less wasteful. Well now Charlie won't change any diapers, but thats okay... lets be honest I think he changed two before the switch! Now on to my second switch, making my own baby food. Well I really try to eat healthy, yes I love junk food, but I know what they put in the crap and I try to make better choices. Well I was thinking about Mack starting solids, and started thinking why would I take all this time and effort to breastfeed her and give her the best nutritional start in life just to put junk in her body?!?! I know you can buy organic baby food, but most of the time the word 'organic' is used as a selling point and whats in the jar isn't really organic at all. So I figured if I make her food then I know everything that she is eating. I know that the food was fresh, washed, and prepared the right way! And then Mack would know what those foods really should taste like, and not what the food industry wants us to think they should taste like. (like a cherry doesn't taste the same as cherry flavoring! the real cherry is so much better.) So we are two months into solid foods and I have made everything she's ever eaten! I know that I can't do that forever, but with the rise of obesity in this country I want her to have a love for the right kinds of foods that will nourish her body not just fill it. So here are some pictures of my growing crunchy-ness, and remember I am only oatmeal at this point! We will see how far I go with this...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
You go Oatmeal Girl! ;) What a lucky little lady our granddaughter is to have a mom that will go to the extra effort to keep her healthy! :)
Post a Comment